244 WEST PENN STREET
BEDFORD, PA 15522-1226
TELEPHONE: (814) 623-8192
FAX: (814) 623-3315
August 1, 2017
Re: Ownership and Care of Animals in the Borough of Bedford
Persons residing in or visiting the Borough of Bedford are reminded of the following, as they pertain to the ownership and care of animals:
• It is unlawful to keep any large animals (any animal from the bovine, equine, emu, goat, llama, ostrich, sheep or swine families), wild animals, snakes exceeding three (3’) feet in length, poisonous reptiles or other types of poisonous animals, poisonous spiders or poisonous insects anywhere in the Borough of Bedford.
• It is unlawful for the owner of any animal (dog, cat, etc.) to allow such animal to run at large on public property, including streets, parks, and cemeteries, or on any private property, excepting that of the animal’s owner or the person having custody of the animal.
• Food for animals shall be kept in fly-tight and rodent-proof containers.
• Every keeper of an animal shall cause the animal’s litter and droppings (feces) to be collected daily and placed in a container that is fly-tight and rodent-proof. The litter and droppings are to be disposed of in a legal manner at least once per week.
• No person having ownership or custody of an animal shall allow the animal to defecate on public property, including streets, parks and cemeteries or on any private property, excepting that of the animal’s owner or the person having custody of the animal, unless the person having ownership or custody of the animal immediately removes such feces and places it in a non-leaking container for eventual disposal in a toilet or in a trash or litter receptacle located at the animal’s owner’s or caretaker’s property. The provisions contained in this bullet do not apply to a guide dog accompanying any blind person or a dog used to assist any other physically handicapped person.
Barbara E. Diehl, Borough Manager
Borough of Bedford
• BEDFORD GAZETTE (News Department): Please print in “Top of th’ Morning” as space allows.
• BEDFORD COUNTY FREE PRESS
• DOWNTOWN BEDFORD, INC.
• BEDFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT
• BEDFORD CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
• BEDFORD COUNTY VISITORS BUREAU
• BOROUGH COUNCIL, MAYOR, WATER AUTHORITY & MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY
• CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS: Please air periodically as time allows.
• WSKE RADIO: Please air periodically as time allows.