BOROUGH OF BEDFORD
244 WEST PENN STREET
BEDFORD, PA 15522
TELEPHONE (814) 623-8192
FAX (814) 623-3315
January 10, 2017
For the snow season, the Borough of Bedford reminds vehicle operators, property owners, tenants, and contracted snow removers of the following:
1. Vehicles are NOT permitted to be parked on streets and alleys or in the Fort Bedford Park parking lot when a “WINTER WEATHER EMERGENCY” is declared by the Bedford Borough Office. “WINTER WEATHER EMERGENCIES” are normally issued when there is at least a twenty-four (24) hour advanced forecast for a heavy accumulation of ice or four (4”) inches or more of snow. Vehicle operators should be aware of weather forecasts and should check the Bedford Gazette and listen to local (Bedford/Everett) radio stations for the issuance of a “WINTER WEATHER EMERGENCY”.
2. It is the responsibility of the owner, occupant or tenant of every property fronting upon or alongside any sidewalk in the Borough of Bedford to remove or cause to be removed from all of the sidewalks in front of or alongside such property all snow and ice thereon fallen or formed so as to leave a cleared path the full width of the sidewalk or at least thirty-six (36”) inches in width, whichever is less, within twenty-four (24) hours after the same has ceased to fall or form.
3. It is unlawful to shovel, plow, blow, deposit, or relocate any snow or ice from a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot, private roadway, or private property onto any Borough or PENNDOT maintained roadway.
4. When possible, delay shoveling/plowing driveways until after roads have been totally plowed. Plow designs make it impossible to plow roads without depositing snow in driveway entrances.
5. To help decrease the amount of snow re-deposited at a cleared driveway entrance, clear the shoulder area in advance of the driveway opening and deposit the shoveled or plowed snow on the side of the driveway opposite from the direction of the approaching plows.
6. Although the Borough of Bedford directs its operators to exercise caution when plowing roads that are lined with mailboxes, the Borough is not liable for damage incurred by mailboxes during the course of snow removal activities.
7. Following major accumulations of snow, property owners/tenants are requested to remove the snow from around fire hydrants and also from the entrances to crosswalks and openings of catchbasin that are located on/near their property.
8. Parents/Guardians are asked to keep children from playing on snow banks along the roadside. For safety sake “King of the Hill” and tunneling, although harmless childhood games, should be limited to areas where plowing operations do not occur.
Barbara E. Diehl
– BEDFORD GAZETTE (News Department): Please print in “Top of th’ Morning” or use as a news article.
– DOWNTOWN BEDFORD, INC.
– BEDFORD COUNTY FREE PRESS
– BEDFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT
– BEDFORD AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
– BEDFORD COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
– BOROUGH PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
– BOROUGH WATER DEPARTMENT
– BOROUGH WASTEWATER DEPARTMENT
– CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS & WSKE RADIO: Please air on a periodic basis.
– BEDFORD COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
– BEDFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT NO. 1, INC.